In 2000 a group of individuals in southern Ontario, Canada interested in international charitable work in the area of community development, medical and educational work, met and explored the possibility of launching a non-governmental organization.
In 2006 we received approval for registration by CRA for our charitable status. We are authorized to issue charitable tax receipts for donations. Our official purposes incorporate the following:
- To work in communities throughout the world to provide compassion, relief of poverty, training, education and development at the invitation of the communities.
- To implement projects in the areas of medicine, literacy, education, agriculture, water and sanitation. (A)
- Recruitment and training workers for the projects
- Administrative and logistical support for projects
- Teaching communities and their leaders basic skills in the above areas (see A)
- To facilitate projects moving toward autonomy and self-support.
- Integration of projects into local community structures
EGGI does not have paid staff in Canada, but is operated by a volunteer board of three directors and a volunteer general manager:
- Mike Moore, Chairman
- Keith Lohnes, Vice Chair
- Jon Hines, Treasurer
- Nancy Wood, Administrator